Meaning Of I Saw Three Ships

I Saw Three Ships is a popular English Christmas carol that has its roots in the 17th century. Its catchy tune and festive lyrics have made it a beloved holiday song, but have you ever wondered about the true meaning behind the familiar melody? In this blog post, we will dive deeper into the symbolism and history of I Saw Three Ships.

Many people may not realize that I Saw Three Ships is actually a religious song. It tells the story of the three ships that carried the gifts of the Magi to Bethlehem, where Jesus was born. The "three ships" refer to the three Wise Men or Kings, who traveled by sea from the East to bring their offerings to the newborn Christ.

While the carol's origins are not entirely clear, it is believed to have been written in England during the 17th century. The earliest known printed version of the song appeared in 1666, in the collection "Pills to Purge Melancholy." Over the centuries, I Saw Three Ships has undergone many variations and adaptations, but the basic story has remained the same.

In summary, I Saw Three Ships is a Christmas carol that tells the story of the Three Wise Men who traveled by sea to bring gifts to the baby Jesus. Its catchy tune and festive lyrics have made it a holiday favorite for centuries.

Symbolism of Three Ships

The Three Ships in this song have a symbolic meaning. The ships represent the three Magis, who journeyed across the desert and the mountains to reach Bethlehem in order to see baby Jesus. This symbolism is rooted in the Bible. The Bible mentions that the wise men brought gold, frankincense, and myrrh as gifts for the baby Jesus. Gold was highly valuable at that time and symbolized royalty, frankincense is believed to have healing properties and was used in religious ceremonies, and myrrh was a fragrant resin used for embalming, which was also symbolic of the Messiah's death.

As a child, I remember singing the carol with my family and imagining the three ships sailing across the sea, bringing gifts of joy and hope to the world. The cheerful melody and upbeat tempo always put everyone in a festive mood.

The History of I Saw Three Ships

As mentioned earlier, the origin of I Saw Three Ships is not entirely clear. The earliest known version of the song appeared in 1666, in the collection "Pills to Purge Melancholy." However, the carol may have been around long before that. Some believe that it has its roots in a medieval mystery play, where the three ships represented the Holy Trinity and the Biblical Ark.

Over time, there have been many variations and adaptations of I Saw Three Ships. For instance, some versions of the carol refer to "Mary and Joseph" instead of the Magi, while others change the word "ships" to "kings" or "sailors." Despite these differences, the basic story and melody have remained the same.

Religious Significance

I Saw Three Ships has a strong religious significance. The song commemorates the arrival of Jesus Christ, the son of God, on Earth. The Wise Men brought gifts to the baby Jesus as a symbol of their faith and devotion. The carol serves as a reminder to Christians around the world of the importance of the Christmas story and the message of hope that it brings.

Modern Day Adaptations

Throughout the years, I Saw Three Ships has been adapted by countless artists and performers. It has been recorded in many different styles, from traditional choral arrangements to upbeat pop renditions. Some of the most popular versions of the carol were performed by famous singers like Sting and Nat King Cole.

Today, I Saw Three Ships remains a beloved Christmas classic that is sung and enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. Its catchy tune and inspirational lyrics continue to capture the spirit of the holiday season.

Question and Answer

What is the significance of the three ships in I Saw Three Ships?

The three ships in the song represent the three Wise Men or Magi who traveled by sea to bring gifts to the baby Jesus in Bethlehem.

When was I Saw Three Ships first written?

The earliest known printed version of I Saw Three Ships appeared in 1666, in the collection "Pills to Purge Melancholy."

What are the gifts that the Wise Men brought to the baby Jesus?

The Wise Men brought three gifts to the baby Jesus: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Gold represented royalty, frankincense was used in religious ceremonies, and myrrh was a fragrant resin used for embalming.

Why is I Saw Three Ships a religious song?

I Saw Three Ships tells the story of the birth of Jesus Christ and the journey of the Wise Men to Bethlehem. It is a celebration of the Christian belief that Jesus is the son of God and the savior of the world.

Conclusion

I Saw Three Ships is a timeless Christmas carol that remains a beloved holiday classic to this day. Its joyous melody and meaningful lyrics remind us of the true spirit of Christmas and the story of the birth of Jesus Christ. Whether sung in church or heard on the radio, I Saw Three Ships is sure to bring a smile to your face and festive cheer to your heart.

Gallery

I Saw Three Ships - YouTube

I Saw Three Ships - YouTube
Photo Credit by: bing.com /

I Saw Three Ships - YouTube

I Saw Three Ships - YouTube
Photo Credit by: bing.com / ships saw three

I Saw Three Ships - Lyrics, Hymn Meaning And Story

I Saw Three Ships - Lyrics, Hymn Meaning and Story
Photo Credit by: bing.com / ships saw three godtube

I Saw Three Ships - YouTube

I Saw Three Ships - YouTube
Photo Credit by: bing.com /

I Saw Three Ships Digital Sheet Music - Mel Bay Publications, Inc

I Saw Three Ships Digital Sheet Music - Mel Bay Publications, Inc
Photo Credit by: bing.com / ships saw three sheet digital music